We are a charity.
Takeover Radio Children’s Media Trust is a charity. As such it is governed by the Charity Commission, we are required to:
Advance the education of children and young people aged between 8 and 18 residing in the UK by the provision of training in: radio, journalism, web design, video production and other new media, with a view to enhance their personal development, and to work toward a career the media industry.
We are a radio station.
Originally granted a licence to broadcast to Leicester as part of the Radio Access Pilot Scheme in 2001, we gained a full time Community Broadcasting Licence in 2005. Takeover Radio had existed since 1997 as an element in several short term “Restricted Service Licences” (RSLs) before becoming a registered charity and moving forward with plans to gain a full time licence.
Takeover Radio is a radio station broadcasting on 103.2 FM (in Leicester). As a radio station we are governed by Ofcom.
Our licence stipulates, that as well as broadcasting 24/7:
- Our output needs to be a mixture of 21st century popular music, speech and interactive educational programming.
- Musical output needs to appeal to children and young adults but is not limited to any particular genre.
- The station should aim to showcase local bands and new music.
- Speech output typically needs to include features and discussions on current local affairs, local sporting events, educational matters, stories, interviews and local news and weather and other items of interest to young people.
We are for young people.
Young people are guided through various radio projects from inception through production and then to-air. Examples include “Opinion 8” where the young presenters/producers tackle issues affecting their generation; self produced specialist music shows, learning interviewing techniques, audio packaging, news bulletin production and much more. This makes Takeover Radio totally unique – a world first.
From 6pm until 8pm Monday to Friday and across weekend day-parts, the “Kidz Takeover” the airwaves and have complete editorial and content control, guided only by what they’ve learned during their extensive hands-on training.
- Training and work experience for children and young people in Leicester.
- Facilitate discussion and the expression of opinion.
- Provide education and training to unemployed young adults.
- Enable a better understanding of, and strengthen the links between, young people.
And Takeover Radio as an organisation is required …
- To take into account children and young people’s views in both its management and operation.
- To be accountable to the same children and young people.